SUNY Distinguished Teaching Professor
Office: Clemens 511
Phone number: 716 645-0701
E-mail address: email@example.com
American literature, criticism and theory, literature and science.
- The 20th Century American Novel, Definitions of America, Hawthorne, American Classics and American Culture, The Puritan Tradition
Work in Progress:
- “‘Singularly Connected’: Mirror Neurons and Deep Ecology in Blithedale and Septimius” for MLA Convention in Boston, January, 2013.
- God’s Altar: The World and the Flesh in Puritan Poetry. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1978.
- “Reading Sedgwick Now: Empathy and Ethics in Early America.” Literature in the Early American Republic II (2010).
- “From World to Word and Back Again: Coopers Now and Next.” Reading Cooper, Teaching Cooper. New York: AMS Press, 2006.
- Entry on John Gardner. The Literary Encyclopedia. Online reference source. 2005.
- Entry on Nathaniel Hawthorne. The Literary Encyclopedia. Online reference source. 2004.
- “Mischief, Insanity, Memetics, and Agency in The Linwoods.” Catharine Maria Sedgwick: Critical Perspectives. Ed. Lucinda Damon-Bach and Victoria Clements. Boston: Northeastern UP, 2003.
- Entry on The Scarlet Letter. Dictionary of American History. Ed. Stanley Kutler. 10 vols. New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 2003.
- Introduction, note on text, and bibliography for Cooper, James Fenimore. The Pioneers. Cambridge: Harvard UP, 2011.